Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lizzy Pattinson Is Our Cellardoor Girl

Dimly lit and shrouded in a floaty maxi dress, a female silhouette can be made oout and a husky, smooth voice fills the room. The first notes sung in the music room of this West London pub immediately transform it, giving the feeling 0f 1950`s jazz bar. The lights brighten and there stands the London – based singer – songwriter Lizzy Pattinson.
The room is packed, with both fans and first – time listeners and neither are disappointed. Her performance with her band includes songs, written with her brother, actor Robert Pattinson, as well as Star`s Sailor James Walsh. It proves impossible to pigeon – hole her music into one genre, and you wouldn`t want to. She isn`t afraid to explore different avenues styles and use all of her voice, and her work is honest and evocative.
She is carving out a name for herself with her folky, soulful style and is well on her way to taking her place in the music industry. She is definitely a cellardoor girl. We caught up with her to see what she is currently working on.

Where do you draw inspiration for your work from?
Everything and everywhere. I guess the tricky part is turning what you feel into a song that others might enjoy, too.
What made you want to be a singer/ songwriter?
I started dinging age 15. we had a class concert at school and everyone had to take a part; for some reason I decided I wanted to sing, having never done it before. My parents were really worried for me as I was painfully shy, but I felt compelled to do it. Writing was something that came later; I am still working on that skill.
Who, dead or alive, you would most want to work with?
I`d like to have sung a duet with Roy Orbison.
Is there a song or album that has been really important to you growing up and why?
I used to listen to my mum and Dad`s records. Tracy Chapman was a favourite. I appreciate the lyrics more as an adult. I also remember being in a restaurant when I was younger and there was a kids disco downstairs; they only had one record and played it over and over again. It was ‘what have I done to decerve this’ by the Petshop boys and Dusty Springfield, I was in a total pop trance and still love that song today.
If you weren`t a singer/ songwriter what would you being doing?
I really enjoy what I do and I can`t imagine doing anything else. I used to work in a library … perhaps i`d still be there.
Where is your favourite place to perform?
It`s been great playing intimate acoustic gigs in London recently. The Bedford and the Regal room are lovely acoustic venues.
You performed at Isle of White festival this year – how was that?
It was really fun, we played the acoustic stage and managed to catch performances from few of the main acts, too, Blondie was a highlight for me.
What was it like to work with the UK dance act, Aurora?
It was a great experience. I was 18 and I had just done my A – levels. It was like a crash course in the music industry. I`m grateful I had that little bit of luck early on as it made me feel that it was possible to have a carrier in music as opposed to it just being a pipedream in my head. It is still a roller coaster ride.
You wrote a song for Twilight, what was it like hearing your song in a film?
It wasn`t a song as such, I sang ambient background vocals on the film score. My vocals are probably most prominent on the piece ‘Who are they’ at the moment where Edward Cullen first appears in the Cafeteria scene. I recorded the vocals with Carter Burwell and Catherine Hardwick at Hans Zimmer`s studio in LA and at Air Studios in London. They were both such amazing people to work with and it was fascinating to see and hear how much the music affects the mood of the scene. I feel honoured to have been a part of the film, albeit a very small part. It was such a fun.
What`s been the proudest moment of your career so far?
The first moment I heard one of my songs on radio I felt great.
How would your friends describe you?
I just text one of my friends. They say enigmatic, nuts and thoughtful.
Who are your favourite heroines/ heroes of fiction?
Pippi Longstocking. I`ve always wanted to clean the kitchen – floor with hand – brushes made as roller – skates.
How would you describe your fashion style?
The feel of clothes is more important to me than anything, I like being comfortable. On stage I am more flamboyant, I find myself drawn to the cut of 1940 with a definite waist and a sharp silhouette, and recently I`ve gotten into 1970 maxi dresses and biba style platforms.
Who are your style icons?
Marilyn Monroe for her natural charisma and glamour, I loved her casual style in Pucci dresses and print blouses. Rachel Reed for her psychedelic individuality and Jennifer Connelly for her mysterious elegance.
Do you have any favourite places to shop?
I generally come across things by accident whilst on the way to somewhere else, like the one – off boutiques or charity shops; I like clothes with history.
You grew up in London, what is it you love most about the city?
I think the cultural diversity here creates a really exciting atmosphere. You can`t fail to be impressed by the amazing architecture alongside Thames in the centre of the town.
So what can we expect next from Lizziy Pattinson?
Songwriting for the rest of the year and showcasing new songs at gigs in London. I`ve also been collaborating with really varied artists and bands. I recently recorded a dut with Brian Molko from Placebo, called ‘Inseparable’ and duet with British band Beatbullyz called ‘Heartbeat’, which will be on their album, released September 19th.
And, lastly, as this is Cellardoor Autumn issue, what is your favourite thing about autumn?
I love autumn in London. You see amazing colours in the parks; greens, purples and golds. It`s still sunny with blue skies, but you can feel winter on its way. I like that we have quite defined seasons, it appeals to my sense of drama.

Do not repost. Thank you! 
Cellardoor magazine 
Picture - Facebook - Laura Wanzelow 


First Look at Catherine Hardwicke’s RED RIDING HOOD Starring Amanda Seyfried 

Classic reimaginings are a hot property these days. There are two different live-action films in pre-production covering Snow White, and another covering Cinderella, but before those steal headlines down the road there is Catherine Hardwicke’s Red Riding Hood. The film is already shooting and stars Amanda Seyfried as the innocent girl just wanting to visit grandma. We reported in July about behind-the-scenes pictures showing off Seyfried, co-star Gary Oldman, and many more dressed in period attire. Now we have the first glimpse of the film in the proper context, i.e. not walking through a concrete parking lot, so hit the jump to check them out along with more updates on the film.

Hardwicke is best known for kicking off the Twilight craze by helming the first film in the series, but now she is focusing on true werewolves. She will be working off a script by Orphan writer David Leslie Johnson, which has gathered Seyfried, Oldman, Virginia Madsen, Lukas Haas, Darren Shahlavi, Shiloh Fernandez, and Julie Christie. Thanks to EW (via Shock Til You Drop), we have our first grainy glimpse at Seyfried in complete Red Riding Hood garb below and a nice update on the story that apparently includes demons.

The piece reads:

“Amanda Seyfried dons the cape for Red Riding Hood. In a dark retelling of the famous children’s tale (out March 11, 2011), Seyfried stars as Valerie, a village girl torn between two loves (including Peter, left, played by Jericho’s Shiloh Fernandez). “I’ve never seen her like this in a role before,” raves director Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight). “She’s super sexy, wild. And those big eyes of hers are totally out of a fairy tale.” The threat of demons and werewolves further complications the love triangle, along with a priest (Gary Oldman) obsessed with ridding his village of evil, and townspeople hiding their own secrets and lies. “There’s a strong whodunit through the whole thing,” says Hardwicke. “So it’s got the weird, interesting parts of Grimm’s fairy tale and then so much more.”

I have to say that while I dislike the entire Twilight craze, this film is intriguing. Hardwicke didn’t write the books that inspired that series, so I can forgive her for directing the first film. If nothing else, Red Riding Hood certainly has a nice cast. 

EW 
The Collider

No comments:

Post a Comment